The Council on Addictions of New York State (CANYS) is an organization of prevention education, intervention and treatment agencies throughout New York State that meets to address concerns and issues affecting the practice of prevention, intervention and treatment as well as issues of organizational efficiency including administrative, managerial, programmatic, fiscal and Board and staff concerns.
The CANYS Mission is to effectively address alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and problem gambling in our local communities as well as regionally and statewide.
We envision a world where health, safety, and wellness are the norm; one in which science-based alcohol, tobacco, other drugs, and problem gambling prevention services are regularly and effectively provided in every setting and domain and to all age groups; where problems related to alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and gambling are minimal; where recovery is celebrated, commonplace reality; and appropriate intervention and treatment are readily available to all who are in need.
Councils were created to provide information and referrals to families in need of alcohol and other drug information.
2019 CANYS Board of Directors
- President: Angela Sullivan (Tompkins County)
- Vice President: Bill Bowman (Jefferson County)
- Secretary: Amanda West (Warren/Washington Counties)
- Treasurer: Larry Calkins (St. Lawrence County)
- Membership: Jennifer Faringer (Monroe County)
- Dan Shubsda (Niagara County)
- Jim Conklin (Orange County)
- Julie Dostal (Otsego County)
- Timothy VanDamme (Ontario, Wayne, Seneca, Schuyler, Yates Counties)
CANYS: Our Legacy
Councils grew out of grassroots concerns about the problems of alcoholism and drug abuse in local communities.